Teachers and Administrators can submit a behavior referral for a student attached to a corrective behavior that was logged in Kickboard. The instructions below are for adding a referral on the web platform. To learn how to submit a referral on the Kickboard mobile app, click here.
How to Submit a Referral
After you log a corrective behavior for a student, you can submit a referral about that behavior incident by following these steps:
- Open the student's profile timeline. When you hover over a student's card, you will see a person icon appear in the bottom right of the card. Clicking that profile icon will bring you to the student's profile page in a new browser tab.
- Confirm that the corrective behavior to be referred is in the recent behavior list, then tap the Add Referral button to the right of the behavior you want to refer.
- On the Add Referral screen, you will see the following fields:
- Student Name will be pre-populated
- Teacher name will be pre-populated
- Date/Time will be pre-populated to the date and time that the selected behavior was recorded, but this date and time can be adjusted.
- Incident category (optional) will give staff the ability to select a severity level based on your school's referral system.
- Location will give staff the ability to select a specific location where the incident occurred from a pre-populated list.
- Notes will automatically include any attached notes from the selected behavior log and the user can edit or add to those notes.
- Once all the details have been entered, click Add Referral.
- Once you have submitted the referral, you will see the referral listed in the student's timeline.
- The referral will also be visible in the Referral tab for administrators to take action.
Additional Notes for Administrators about Referrals
- Behavior Positivity Type: In order for a behavior log to be available for referral, the positivity type of the behavior must be set to "negative". You can edit the positivity type of a behavior by following these steps.
- Family Portal: Referrals will not appear in the Family Portal for parents or students. The corrective behavior and any notes attached to it will still appear on the portal as usual, but parents and students will not see the referral log or the additional notes associated with the referral.
- Permissions: Users with Teacher permissions in Kickboard will be able to create referrals only for behaviors they have recorded themselves. Users with School Admin or Kickboard Admin permissions will be able to create referrals for behaviors logged by any user.
- Time Limits: Behaviors logged during only the previous and current culture weeks will be available for referral submission.
- Consequences and Triggers: Referrals can be used as an automatic trigger for a consequence roster. But because referrals cannot have a point/dollar value, they are unable to contribute to modular or point total triggers for consequence rosters. Click here for more information about trigger types.
- Referral Management System: Click here to learn about how administrators can manage and respond to referrals in Kickboard Next.
- Referral Analysis: Referrals can be analyzed throughout Kickboard in a similar manner to any behavior log. On the Referral management tab, you can view all referrals and filter or sort that list as needed. On Analysis, the Referral category is selectable in the interactions filter. You can follow these steps to see which students have the most referrals for a period of time or follow these steps to see how your referrals are trending over time for the school as a whole.
- Import Referrals to PowerSchool: Kickboard has partnered with PowerSchool SIS to allow admins to import Kickboard referrals directly into PowerSchool as incidents. Click here to learn more about this feature.
- Referral Settings: Users with Kickboard Admin permissions can rename "Referral" to match school-specific terminology or deactivate the referral system on the school settings page.