There are three different types of consequences: Fixed Day, Continuous, and Hourly.
Fixed Day consequences rosters are useful if students are serving consequences on specified days and if they don't need to remain on the roster for longer than a single day. Students are automatically removed from the consequence roster by the system after one day. This can eliminate the amount of work required by staff members to manage the roster.
Continuous consequence rosters are useful if students need to stay on the roster for multiple days. Students will remain on the roster indefinitely until they are manually removed, allowing for flexibility since students may not serve their consequence on a predetermined day. However, this will require a staff member to manually keep track of who has already served the consequence and to remove each student individually from the roster once the consequence is served.
Hourly consequence rosters track how many "hours" (or units) of time a student needs to serve. Students can accrue multiple hours and serve them one-by-one. For instance, if a student earns a half hour of Friday Detention every time s/he is tardy to school, s/he may have 3 units of time to serve on Friday (of a half hour each). If she only ends up serving 2 units of time on Friday, you can mark that on the roster, and the remaining unit will remain for the student to serve at a later date.
How to Create a Consequence
Note: Only School Admins and Kickboard Admins are able to create consequences.
To create a consequence, go to Culture > Consequences and click the green Add Consequence button.
Type the name of the consequence in the Description box.
Select which type of consequence you'd like to create: Fixed Day, Hourly, or Continuous.
Click the green Add Consequence button.
If you selected Fixed Day, you'll see the following screen:
You'll have a few decisions to make:
- The first is the label color, which is the color of the flag that will appear next to a student's name on Daily Activity when s/he is on this consequence roster. Click on the green color box then select which color you'd like.
- Next, you'll need to decide in the Assign section between "Today" and "Next Available Day." If you choose "Today," it means the student will be triggered onto the consequence roster for the same day the student is triggered (or the next selected day if not all days of the week are selected for the trigger--more on this in a minute). If you choose "Next Available Day," the student will be triggered onto the roster for the next available selected day. Sometimes, for example, schools need time to call students' parents to let them know they'll be serving a detention the next day, so the "Next Available Day" option would be most helpful in that scenario since the student isn't serving the consequence the same day s/he is triggered.
- You'll also need to decide which days you want the roster to populate by selecting them from the Days section. Sometimes, for example, schools have a short day on Wednesdays and so don't hold after school clubs or detentions those days. If you selected every weekday but Wednesday, then students who would normally get triggered on to Wednesday's roster would get triggered on to Thursday's instead because Wednesday isn't an option.
- Once you have made these selections, click the green Update Consequence button. You'll stay on the same screen, but your changes will be saved.
If you selected Continuous, you'll see the following screen:
- The ON Description is the name of the consequence.
- On a Continuous consequence roster, there is a gray button next to each student's name that you can click once the student has served the consequence. When you click this button, the student's name gets removed from the roster, but the record of the consequence remains in their history. The OFF Description determines what that button will say. Some schools leave it as is, some change it to something like "Consequence Served."
- The label color is the color of the flag that will appear next to a student's name on Daily Activity when s/he is on this consequence roster. Click on the green color box then select which color you'd like.
- Once you have made your selections, click on the green Update Consequence button. You'll stay on the same screen, but your changes will be saved.
If you selected Hourly, you'll see the following screen:
You'll have a few decisions to make:
- First, you'll need to choose a label color, which is the color of the flag that will appear next to a student's name on Daily Activity when s/he is on this consequence roster. Click on the green color box then select which color you'd like.
- Next, enter a number in the "Assign ___ hours each time this consequence is triggered." This is the number of units a student will be required to serve each time s/he is triggered onto this consequence roster. The majority of the time, schools enter "1" for this. Please note that just because the text here reads "hours," it doesn't mean that you are beholden to that time period. An "hour" could really mean a 1/2 hour or 15 minutes when put into practice at your school. Think of the hour as a "unit" of time--determined by your school--rather than an actual 60-minute block of time.
- If you select the box next to Display "Hours to Serve Today" and Additional Hours earned in separate columns?, this will create two columns on your consequence roster. The "Hours to Serve Today" column will display a tally of any hours the student accrued before the current day. The "Additional Earned Hours" column will display a tally of any hours the student accrued on the current day. If you use these two columns, this creates a way to give parents or other stakeholders advance notice of hours to be served because hours earned same day are listed separately. If you don't select this option, there will be only one "Hours to Serve" column on the consequence roster.
- Under Hourly Consequence Attendance Options, you have the option to automatically record behaviors for students based on the attendance record that is marked for them on the consequence roster. If a student serves an hour, you may want to automatically record a positive behavior for them to reinforce their decision to serve the consequence. If a student does not serve his or her consequence, you may want to automatically record a behavior that indicates to him or her that you wished they'd made a better choice and to perhaps trigger an additional consequence or loss of dollars/points.
- If you click on the dropdown next to "for each hour SERVED" and "when "Did Not Serve +1 Hour," the entire list of behaviors on your site will appear. Choose which behaviors you'd like to be automatically assigned for each respective option. If you leave the dropdowns at "--none--," no additional behaviors will be recorded for a student when an attendance record is marked for him/her on the consequence roster.
- When you have made all of your selections, click the green Update Consequence button. You'll stay on the same screen, but your changes will be saved.