Below is a checklist of the technical tasks that a Kickboard Administrator will need to do (or delegate) to make sure your school’s Kickboard site is ready to use for the new school year. This list contains links to articles that explain how to complete each task. If you need additional help, you can contact us:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 504-327-5351 between the hours of 8-5 CT M-F
- Click here to schedule an online meeting with a Kickboard Support Specialist
We've also included links to additional resources about newer features, staff training, and family communication that might be helpful when planning for a new school year with Kickboard.
Kickboard Back-to-School Checklist
❑ Complete the School Year Migration process
To prepare your Kickboard site for a new school year, a Kickboard Admin will need to perform the School Year Migration process to promote your students and archive last year's data. The step-by-step instructions for this process can be found here. Below are some key tips to keep in mind:
- The migration process mostly consists of clicking through steps. All of the elements in the steps can be accessed in your settings and are able to be edited after the process is complete.
- Do not create a gap between the previous School Year and the new School Year. You won't be able to start editing or configuring the site until the new school year start date, so it's usually best to just leave it as the default (the day after your previous school year ends). Same for the first Marking Period start date. It should be the same as the school year start date.
- The Update Staff step is a quick way to deactivate staff who you know will not be returning for the new school year. This can always be done later, but it’s easier and quicker to do during the migration process.
❑ Update active rosters of students, staff, and groups
- If your school has an automated SIS roster sync (through Clever or an SFTP method), confirm that your SIS rollover has been completed and new schedules are available. Then email email@example.com to let us know you are ready to restart the nightly sync into Kickboard.
- If your school manages rosters manually within Kickboard, follow these steps:
- Make updates to your active student list with a roster upload or manually deactivate individual students and add individual new students.
- Build your class groups by having admins or teachers create groups manually or by having an admin upload students to groups.
- Update your staff roster by deactivating staff who are no longer there and creating accounts for new staff. Make sure staff are assigned to the appropriate groups.
- Lastly, send activation emails to all staff so that they can reset passwords.
❑ Update your school’s culture configurations
- Review your deposit amount and frequency (Settings > Climate > Culture), then scroll down to the “Schedule” section, check the box to “Activate auto-deposits”, and click “Update.” (If your deposit amount is set to zero, you should still activate the deposits so that you don’t see the reminder pop-ups any more.)
- Review your school’s behavior list (Settings > Climate > Behaviors) and adjust it by adding new behaviors or editing/deactivating existing behaviors.
- Review your active consequence rosters and triggers (Settings > Climate > Consequences). You can edit/deactivate consequences and add new consequences as an admin, but you will need to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to adjust the automated triggers.
Additional Resources for Back-to-School Planning
Newer Kickboard features to be aware of
- Behavior Referrals
- Referrals Management
- Student SEL & Climate Surveys
- Parent Messaging
- Alexa for School Administrators
- Alexa for Parents
Resources to help train your team
- Staff Training Presentation and Handout
- Getting Started Video for Teachers
- Teaching with Kickboard Video